At Topham Knife Co. we heat treat most grades of knife steels, both Carbon, Stainless & Damascus, up to a maximum length of 500mm (20″). Including but not limited to:
- Bohler N690
- Bohler K110 (D2)
- Bohler K460 (O1)
- Bohler Elmax
- Sandvick 14C28N
- Balbachdamast Inox
Note: Heat treating of High-Speed Steels (M2, M42 etc) required temperatures above our current capabilities (+1200 °C), although we have successfully heat-treated Bohler S600 (M2) in the past.
Heat treating and quenching cycles are tailored for the intended use of the product. All heat treatment is effected from a digitally controlled electric furnace and blades are quenched in an appropriate quench oil and/or a quench plate press designed to virtually eliminate distortion in the blade. Optionally a cold/cryogenic cycle is used for additional performance increase.
All blades are evaluated upon arrival for damage during shipment, straightness, special fixturing needs, and heat treating requirements. During processing, all blades are handled individually and by hand.
We do not work with a protective atmosphere but stainless blades can be encased in stainless steel tool wrap to reduce decarbutisation and minimise scaling.
- Blades Under 500mm in Length (10cm wide max): R50.00 each
- Stainless Steel Foil Wrapping: +R50.00/pc.
- Deep Cryogenic Tempering (Liquid Nitrogen) = Available on request
- Normalizing & Annealing: +R20.00/pc.
- Thin ground blades (edge thickness < 2mm), unevenly ground or asymmetrical blades, excess grinding/machining stresses, overheating during machining operations, welding, or previous thermal treatments will make a blade more susceptible to distortion during heat treating.
- Stress cracks can occur for a number of reasons, some are due to sharp corners, holes not chamfered, material faults.
- Typically the finish left from heat treating is easily removed with #220 grit.
- Some deformation should be expected in virtually all blades. While the above is a rare occasion and I can straighten, I am not able to guarantee the straightness results nor replaced damaged product/material, if required to straighten.
Any further questions, please email me.